The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) gives people with disability choice and control about how they want to live their life.
Vivid is a registered provider of the NDIS and has successfully transitioned to the scheme in the Loddon & Mallee regions.
Watch this video from the NDIS for an introduction to the Scheme:
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a new way of providing support for eligible people with permanent and significant disability, their families and carers. The NDIS is a national Scheme that was initiated by the Australian Government to Australians with a disability including people with intellectual, physical, sensory and psycho-social disabilities. Approximately 460,000 people accessing the Scheme which has a $22billion investment annually ( a significant increase disability funding under the previous model).
The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) is an independent statutory agency. Its role is to implement the NDIS.
To access the NDIS, you must:
- live in a NDIS transition area
- have a permanent disability that:
- reduces your ability to participate effectively in activities, or perform tasks or actions, unless you have support, and
- affects your capacity for social and economic participation, and
- means you are likely to require support under the NDIS for a lifetime.
You must also be:
- an Australian citizen, or
- the holder of a permanent visa, or
- hold a Protected Special Category Visa, and
- be aged under 65
If you are eligible for the NDIS, and it becomes available in your area, you will be contacted by a representative from the NDIS. They will advise you on how to demonstrate that you are eligible, and will also help you through the NDIS planning process.
Local Area Coordinators (LACs) have various roles in the NDIS. Their main aim is to help better include people with disability within the community. LACs will assist people with disability in the community by:
- Linking people with disability to providers of supports
- Building the capacity of individuals and their carers
- Building the capacity of community organisations to understand and meet the needs of people with disability
- Helping people access the NDIS, as well as helping them plan and access their supports.
The LAC in Loddon is Intereach.
The LAC in the Mallee is Intereach.
The NDIS has commenced in the Loddon and Mallee regions.
If you live outside these regions, click here to see when the NDIS will become available in your area.
The NDIS will fund ‘reasonable and necessary’ supports that help you achieve your goals. In order to be considered reasonable and necessary, a support must:
- be related to your disability
- not include day-to-day living costs that are not related to your disability support needs
- represent value for money
- be likely to be effective and beneficial to you, and
- take into account informal supports given to you by your family, carers, networks, and the community.
SLES stands for School Leaver Employment Support and is a new support offered as part of the NDIS. SLES offers you individualised support for up to two years after finishing year 12 to help get you ready for work and plan your pathway to employment. Your SLES plan will be tailored to meet your individual employment goal within our Vivid Work Crew sites. Click here to learn more about Vivid and SLES.
If you are eligible for the NDIS you will then go through a process which will result in your first Plan.
The planning process will involve NDIA staff, you and the other people (such as a family member and/or Disability Service Providers) who can advocate for you to ensure that you receive, in your Plan, funding for the supports you need.
If you are not happy with your Plan, you can ask for it to be reviewed. If you are happy with your Plan, you will be contacted 90 days prior to your plan ending to arrange for a Plan Review.
You can work with your Support Coordinator or your LAC to set up another meeting and submit a review application.
Currently decisions are being made within a couple of weeks.
You can contact Meaghan Broom, Vivid’s Connections Manager, to answer any of your questions. Phone Meaghan on 54806611 or email [email protected]